Re: Sprite Spree '03 (just a weeeee bit long)

To: macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sprite Spree '03 (just a weeeee bit long)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:31:54 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/03 2:22:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu writes:

> The Rally apparently went off with out a hitch, well except for the
> rain. But that was Tuesday, I got there early Wed AM.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well, I was there for the rally.  I had to be, I wrote it.

The rally did go well, even in the light rain.  At least two cars ran
topless.  We had 19 Spridgets (all Sprites, I think) and two non-Brit cars.
John Sprinzel DID rally with us!!  (THAT made MY day!!)  Sorry he didn't win.
 :-(   7 cars ran in the Experienced class, 2 in Class X (non-Spridget) and
the rest were novices.

The rally was a question and answer, gimmick rally of 90 miles.  Central PA
is mostly hills, so it did resemble a hillclimb.  John told me he would have
liked trying those hills in his Porsche 911!  There were some challenging
hills for our little cars.

No one got lost, no one opened their emergency envelope, and only one car
broke down, with a dead generator resulting in a really flat battery.  I used
time as a tie-breaker, telling everyone that it should take 3 hours to
complete the course.  Fastest time was 2 hrs, 45 min., and closest to 3 hours
was 3 hrs, 4/100 min.  That's right, they were only 4 hundreths of a minute
late.  (Less than 3 seconds.)  And that car was in the novice class.

We partied at a nifty restaurant in the woods someplace, and had a Hawaiian
buffet.  Great food, great people, loads of fun.  And I had Daniel Stapleton
and John Sprinzel help me hand out awards!!!  I had a lot of fun all day,
even though I had to drive my Ford to the rally.  There was just too much
"stuff" to fit in the Midget.  It was nice using the cruise control on the
Turnpike, though!

I'll try to remember to post the list of winners next week.  Actually, they
were all winners!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)