Re: Sprite Spree '03 (just a weeeee bit long)

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Sprite Spree '03 (just a weeeee bit long)
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:47:40 +1000
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On day 1, with help from Russell Cox, a fellow Aussie who travelled
with me to Sprite Spree, I setup an English style driving test, or
motorkhana as we know them. It is a tight test that is generally
restricted to 1st gear and somewtimes reverse. We didn't have much
space to work with so it was even tighter than usual. We had lots of
miss-runs (known as "Wromng Direction" or WD), but most people
eventually made a clean run and had some fun in the process.

Tuesday's rally was held over very nice roads. It was a 3 hrs event,
the weather was OK for the most part, but there wass some heavy rain in
places.  The questions/clues were very straight forward -- no attempt
at deception, cryptic clues, or difficult navigation or observation.

Some of the driv e was on steep hills and a road with big
whoop-dee-doos - very interesting!

> Then Mike Gigante drove PIECES (Frank's hybrid bugeye nose, square body
> back, RHD) around the course. Now Mike is not a slender person, (shall
> we leave it at that??) and he is driving a RHD car on a course that all
> the turns are lefts. Starting to get the picture?? That was a the most
> impressive demonstration of driving on two wheels I have ever seen. And
> the Australian pulled it off with the biggest sh^t eating grin I have
> seen in some time. You can no longer read the logo on the Goodyears on
> that side of the car, but it was a hoot to watch.

It was a heap of fun, and both Russell and I greatly appreciated the
use of Frank's cars. Despite what it sounbds like, we were gentle on
the cars (mechanically - kept it below 5000 rpm, smooth and slow gear
changes), but we did push hard in the corners!!! I'm not sure I was
ever on two wheels, but I'm not surprised it looked like it! Pieces has
pretty soft suspension and as Larry so diplomatically put it, I would
benefit from a somewhat stiffer car :-)

> After the AutoX we went back to the Inn where a few teams participated
> in the Drag Race. Yep, Drag a Midget, with the brakes tightened up,
> uphill, through a slalom!! We grouped up in teams of 5, grabbed a hold
> of a harness and ran up the hill, with one member in the drivers seat
> for steering and safety.
> My team, The Cool Dudes (Mike Weeks, Biff Jones, David Leib, And
> someone whom is gonn kick my ass, because I am drawing a complete blank
> on his name, and myself). Took the first run. 19 seconds. We thought
> that was pretty damn good, until the next team pulled a 15 and the
> following one an 11. I mean the girls got a 15 sec run in fur cryin'
> out loud. So we took another run at a heart attack. managed to tie that
> 11, but the winners?? Frank grabbed Rick Moses's 2 kids (about 20, tall
> and athletic) and pulled out a 9 with Mike Gigante in the car!!

Um, not quite right. Myself, Russell Cox, Rick's boys all pulled the
car with Frank driving. We did 9 sec.

As a seperate run, Rick's twoi boys did a 2 person haul with me
driving. They managed an amazing 15 sec!

> I tried
> to get them to handicap us by age, but it was a no go!! (Let's see
> Frank was scoring, Frank was on the leading team, coincidence??? I
> think not)

[...]

> Personally, I had a blast. I hope the rest did, and I am looking
> forward to 2008. That will be the Sprite's 50th.
>
> Larry

Ditto, had a *great* time. Met lots of folks that I have known through
the list but never met in person. Enjoyed Frank's wonderful generosity
and hospitality. Enjoyed John Sprinzel's wit and charm. Enjoyed the
enthusiasm of Rick. Had a great time with a bunch of fun people.

I'll be back in 20087, and I hope to bring a few more Aussies with me!
(so watch out!!!)

cheers, Mike