Re: Datsun 5 speed question

To: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun 5 speed question
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:01:41 -0700
Before I had any idea there was a conversion kit available, I found an
adapter plate in the trunk of a midget in a junk yard.  My brother had a
180k mile B210, and gave it to me.  Yes you can put the 5 speed from the
B210 in a spridget, but it is no where near as easy as using the 210
transmission.  A lot of additional fabrication is necessary to make it work.
The clutch arm comes out the bell housing butting up against the frame
rails, and has to be modified by cutting a hole in the bell housing 180
degrees out, and fabricating a new release arm pivot point.  A bracket has
to be made to mount the slave cylinder to.  The speedo cable exits flush
with the transmission tunnel, and even with an angle drive I had to cut a
clearance hole in the tunnel to fit it.  Once installed, it is a great
conversion, but given the work, stay on the road already traveled and get
the 210 transmission and the kit readily available from Paul A.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget