Re: Heat Update

To: Loud Sprite <loudsprite@zexmedia.com>
Subject: Re: Heat Update
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:55:44 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Alix,

A '68 would have a rather large knob that rotates on the upper left
corner of the dash. You are correct about a sold wire. If you have a
pull knob somewhere instead that was added by someone else, you
should be able to remove the solid wire from the sheath by
disconnecting the end the the heater, and making sure the end is
straightened, pull it out by the knob. This will allow you to inspect
it for kinks, rust or whatever is causing it to stick. Clean the wire
with some steel wool or a Scotchbright pad, lubricate with a light
grease like lithium or white grease, and reinstall it. That should
cure it. Make sure the sheath is secured the the far end as this
could cause problems too.

You can do the same with the original installation, it's just harder
to get at the cable. It requires removing the whole knob assembly.
Let me know if you need instructions for that.

Gerard