Re: Electrical Questions

To: Loud Sprite <loudsprite@zexmedia.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:10:11 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Alix.

See my comment below, but you most likely have a short somewhere.
 From you "dangling, taped wires wires/connectors" comment, I'd give
it some serious attention before you have a disaster. Most "hobbyist
electricians" do the worst things when it comes to making fixes, even
though it's not that hard to do it right. If you're up for such a
challenge, just take it one step at a time. At least get some decent
crimp-on insulated connectors and fix the loose bits first. I don;t
know if you have a manual or know how to read a schematic, but
someone here will surely have a scanned diagram for your car and if
you follow the color codes, it should be that hard to make some
corrections if needed.

My suggestion is not to ignore it as it will only get worse.

Let me know if you need help.

Gerard

>While looking through the Bentley manual, it looks like there used to be a
>volage regulator. Would this have been removed when the alternator was
>installed (previous owner)?

Yes. Do you know what alternator is installed?

>I can't take it for a spin without lights. Any thoughts or suggestions? Best
>as I can tell, I should replace the entire wiring harness. There's tape
>everywhere and connectors just dangling. I thought something had come lose
>earlier and when I connected it the car wouldn't start. On the other hand, I
>got some serious smoking from under the hood and burned through the wire
>insulation. I'm guessing it was one that was previously attached to the
>voltage regulator.

Very Possible. Wires near the firewall on the passenger side? What
color wire are you suspicious of? Several of thise carry most of the
cars power, so a short there would be very serious and NOT fused
either.

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb