'74 Midget Rear Springs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: '74 Midget Rear Springs
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:51:28 EDT
I have a 1974 midget which is exhibiting (when viewed from the rear) a
pronounced sag so that the driver's side is lower than the passenger side by
1-2". I
believe that this is caused by the rear springs having undergone unequal
stress due to the driver weighing more than the passenger (Certainly true in my
case!!). The shocks seems to respond well to a push on top of the rear fender.

First, can the list experts confirm that a worn out spring is the likely
cause of what I am seeing?

Second, if this is the cause, the obvious fix is new springs, right? Well,
have you looked at the price of new springs in the Mo$$ catalog recently? Talk
about sticker shock!!! To make matters more confusing, Mo$$ offers regular
springs ($70), and springs lowered 1" ($125) and springs lowered 2" ($150). My
car
looks like it has one regular and one lowered 2".  So the next question is,
should I replace just the driver's side, or will I save myself the grief of
replacing the passenger side in 6 months and get better balance if I replace
them
both now?

It seems to me that I have seen a discussion on spring quality (or lack
thereof) on the list recently, but I can't find anything in the archives.  What
has
been the experience of recent spring replacements?  What are my sources
besides Mo$$ and VB?  Are there really other sources or are they all coming
from
the same factory in Bejing?

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Steve Swarin
'74 Midget - Bugeye in waiting