Re: '74 Midget Rear Springs

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: '74 Midget Rear Springs
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:34:00 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Steve,

To re-enforce Bob's comments, my current Bugeye project sustained front end
damage from the PO. I brought the car to a frame shop for the installation of
the right frame rail. They had a nifty frame rack whereas the measurements were
accomplished by laser. The shop indicated the car was square and plumb except
for the left spring hanger. The left hanger was off by approx 2mm from the
right side. The shop indicated the error was probably in the manufacturing or
the body had settled this way. The result will be that the car will inherently
sit a little low to the left. I asked how to correct it. The basically said to
learn to live with it.

Larry Pitts

"Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net> wrote:
Steve...

The unibody structure while strong in
some ways, also seems to take a "set"
over time, normally to the "driver's" side.

It's more "body twist" then anything else.
and I am afraid to say, is perfectly normal.
In RHD cars, the right side invariably sits
lower than the left.

Of course, this assumes no broken springs, etc.

You can further check this
out by fitting the left spring on the right
side and vice-versa, before laying out
for new rear springs that will not cure
the "problem" and which you may very
well simply not need.

You can "raise" one side by using a lowering kit on the other and while
it
will help the "list", it will also change
the "springiness" to some small extent
as well.

Alternatively, you can visit a professional
spring shop and see what adjustments
they MAY be able to make in terms of
"arc", etc. to help offset this "body twist".

Cap'n. Bob
'60 :{)