Re: Oil filter conversion

To: "davriker" <davriker@pacbell.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filter conversion
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:40:08 -0500
At 10:47 PM 6/24/2003, davriker wrote:
>If it wasn't worth doing, new cars would still come with canister oil
>filters.  (simple analogy that does not apply to everything, ie legislated
>changes are usually bad, engineering improvements are usually good.  Flame
>suit on).
======
David, I just 'penned" this on the yeehaa list. Thought I'd pass it along.

I'm a fan of the cannister style for several reasons.  I don't find
changing the element all that messy. I like being able to see what the
media I'm using is, and I like seeing the
filter-ed gunk. Almost all European cars have started using cannister style
filters in the past few years. They are "greener" as there is less waste
going to landfills (no can), and less oil, as they are more completely
drained and crushed. There is less raw material used (steel can), etc., etc.
          But, I will caution that most experts do NOT use the felt
elements. They prefer paper. You would too, if you have ever seen the
little balled-up bits of felt in your main bearing galleys.
          I change the cartridge from above, btw, using a reversible box end
wrench and moving the heater air induction tube out of the way, and holding
the can up to the gasket when loosening.
         Peter C.