ebay WAS A-arm woes

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: ebay WAS A-arm woes
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:37:43 -0400 (EDT)
Definitely an unfortunate purchase.

After some experience, I have learned that this type of description while
accurate, screams of Buyer Beware.

When a seller doesn't state the condition of an item, I assume the worst. If I
still have an interest in the auction, I will email the seller. Usually I am
more interested in the seller's attitude and whether he/she responds to my
questions. And if the seller never responds, I take that as a signal to avoid
the auction.

Here's my little ebay Hall of Fame/Chamber of Horrors Aucions

-Seller copies the spec sheet or fills entire description with the specs of the
item but never states the item's condition,
-Seller lists part as NOS, but has no box,
-Seller lists part as NOS, shows a box, but states it is not included in the
auction. (hmmm, is that to save it for the next NOS auction?),
-Seller describes item as rare, original, factory, but on arrival it is not
only an aftermarket part, but alsopoorly repaired,
-Seller photographs good side of item, but turns damaged area away from the
camera.

The last one happened to me on some Les Leston velocity stacks. The seller's
response was that the 5/8" hole in the side was factory. (He sells alot of
british parts on ebay but we don't buy from him any more.)

The second to last one was not only from a large seller of parts on ebay but
also sometimes frequents this list. I took his response that "the factory
sourced many parts for the Bugeye locally in our country" as bs. I still buy
from him, but now I ask specific questions before bidding.

Some of the funniest auctions have been for the Flying-A pedal pads. Remember
the 2 auctions where they went for $100 a pair! Now they occassionally don't
even sell for $19.95. While bidders were killing each other with bids reaching
$100+, all one had to do was call Motorhead at their 800 number shown in the
auction to buy them at the counter price of $12.50!!

ebay's a great place. You just have to remember it's no different than dealing
with any other "classified ad".

jay fishbein
"The Innocenti Project"
Innocentiville, CT