Oil pressure

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[1F345650:01C34A3D] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6EKcHN2002285
Subject: Oil pressure
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:21:26 -0600
I've got a 62 Mk II with a 948 in it that I am just now taking out on the road
a bit after doing a bit of work (brakes, gauges, windshield, etc.) and I'm
watching my oil pressure gauge with increasing interest. I get a solid 45 or 50
when the engine is cold, but as it heats up it can drop as low as 25-30 even at
3500 RPM or more. It does increase with RPM increase. I haven't driven it for
more than 30 minutes at a time, and it is very hot out right now (100+ in the
shade).

How much do I need to worry? Do I have something heating up/expanding and
losing pressure? Does the heat alter viscosity enough to make this happen?

Thanks!

BTW - I'm hugely impressed with this list. It's one of the most helpful, polite
and fun ones I've ever had the pleasure of joining - and I've been on numerous!

Regards,

Joe Lansing
62 Mk II