Fwd: Re: Selling??? A Sadder Story!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Selling??? A Sadder Story!
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 0:33:16 -0400
Hah!!! If you think that is sad, listen to this...

In my late teens I bought a 1959 100-6 for $275. It needed some tranny work but
I drove it home. A buddy did what he could with the tranny and although it
whined like a spridget trans, it didn't jump out of gear anymore. The OD even
worked. Later I found a factory hardtop for it for $100. It didn't handle like
a Sprite but was cool in its own way.

Some time after that it needed front brakes. I pulled the drums and discovered
that it had 3 shoes, 2 leading and 1 trailing. Weird!!! Did some checking and
found out that the car was a BN4L model. A factory special and that nobody had
the right shoes for it. For those of you who are still reading and wondering,
yes, it was a tri-carb model. Of course since I was only a kid and was in to
Sprites, not the big Healys, I didn't know what I had.

I ended up selling it for a profit even with bad brakes. A while back I saw one
on eBay that was at $55K and had not reached the reserve! In reality, mine
wasn't nearly so nice but it makes you wonder if you keep something long enough
would you get around to making it that nice?

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget

When I was rebuilding my bugeye in the late '70s I had a chance to buy a
factory 100M for $5000.    As the prices of 100Ms have risen in to the $30-50k
range, I regularly kick my butt over that decision.
Rick