Re: HIF6 bonnet clearance 07:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

To: soavero@yahoo.com (Ron Soave)
Subject: Re: HIF6 bonnet clearance 07:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hmmm...

This is exactly why I asked, Ron. I, too,
was going to mount an HIF ("44", in my
case) 1.75 but decided to go with my
old "45" DCOE instead.

However, the kit I got from APT used
a Howley man. which had no discernable
"upward" curve. This and the fact I've heard of no one else (thus
far....your post to the contrary may bring them out of the
woodwork, so to speak!:) doing this conversion having a clearance
problem under a BE bonnet, prompted my
question as to manifold.

My bet is the Metro manifold you have would work fine under a Spridget
hood,
maybe?

In any event, it would appear that unless
you can do a little metal work on the bonnet (PITA), that going with the
"straighter" Howley is the cheapest, easiest way to go, here?

Maybe you can loosen the motor mounts
and twist the motor just a bit but...will
it "stay" over the long pull or tend to
return to it's former position, thus doing a
little "metal work" on the bonnet from beneath? Anyway...

...the Howley goes for $168 from APT, as
I recall and they also have the appropropriate CPU100 heat shield (with
throttle cable fitting) phenolic spacer blocks, gaskets, ram/stub
stacks, correct
"basic" needle, air valve spring (red?), etc.

The Metro intake manifold is (according to
DV) one of the best flowing factory stock
inlet manifolds ever provided. You should
be able to get a very good buck for it on
ebay to defray foregoing costs, should you
decide to go this route.

Be interested in your comments with respect to any performance
variations and/or improvements once you get this
sorted, BTW.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)