Re: Seeking engine advice

To: Eddie Sheffield <mg4fun@cablenet-va.com>
Subject: Re: Seeking engine advice
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:21:40 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Eddie,

The minimum you need to do to the block is the following.

Machine work minimum:

  tank block/clean out oil gallery
  Bore or .020 oversize
  grind or polish crank
  R&R cam bearing
  R&R freeze plugs and oil gallery plugs
  check deck and head for flatness.
  check/correct line bore (main bearings) with what you described last
time, this  is important.
  re-grind/check for straightness on cam, if you don't get a 266
  re-surface or replace lifters
  pin-fit pistons
  Check flywheel friction surface and ring gear.

Optional:

  balance rotational mass.
  lighten flywheel

Parts: Minimum

  new pistons and rings
  new cam, main and rod bearings
  new lower gasket set and head gasket
  freeze plugs
  oil gallery plugs
  oil pump, depending on condition of your old one. From what you
describe of the engine, I suspect new will be in order.
  Timing chain and gears.
  Check your crank damper pulley. If the rubber is cracked, it needs replacing.
  clutch kit?
  new lifters if old ones are not resurfaced.

This is what I consider minimum. So, look through Moss or VB catalogs
to get an idea o $$ and add up your parts costs. then find yourself a
machine shop that KNOWS what to do on these small engines AND have
the correct tools. Some machine shops may not have tools small enough
for some of the jobs like checking the line bore and reaming the cam
bearings. Find out what there labor charges are for the above items.
That should give you an idea what will fit in your budget.

That should get you started.