Seeking engine advice

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Seeking engine advice
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:27:33 -0400
Hey all!

You all saw my recent message about my "engine woes." Going to have to
do some kind of rebuild, just trying to decide exactly what to do. It's
a 1275, and I'm not interested in building a race motor or even a very
"hot" street engine. I *would* like to try and pick up a little bottom
end "oomph." I live in southwest VA in the mountains, and have a pretty
steep hill to climb just getting to my house. On the other hand, I'm
pretty financially constrained right now so while I want to do a decent
rebuild, I can't afford the whole menu of machine work, though I'll get
what I can. The head seems to be in pretty good shape so for the time
being I'm going to leave it alone for the most part.

Anyway, boring to 20 over is a must - I can tell that from my bore gage.
The most likely thing is that I'll just do an otherwise "stock" rebuild
using the standard compression (8.8:1) pistons. The only variable I'm
considering is maybe a new cam. With everything else basically stock
(for now) would I be wasting my time going with something like a Kent
266? I'm not a cam expert for sure but from what I've been able to
gather it looks like it might be a good choice. Should give me some of
the lower end boost I'd like. I do have a second head that I'm probably
going to experiment with porting at some point in the future, but
nothing too wild.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what I can do with the bottom end on
the budget I've got (thinking $750 to maybe $1000 if I really stretch
it) that will be at least as good as stock with everything else stock
and even better when I get around to some head / carb / ignition
tweaking. Heck, with the shape it was in, even bone stock in good shape
would be a big improvement!

Thanks!

Eddie
'71 Midget - Bebop