Re: In search of a 155SR 13 (73 Series Tire)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In search of a 155SR 13 (73 Series Tire)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:06:57 +0100
I had someone at a tire shop tell me that my running a steel belted 165 on one
side of the rear axle, and polyglas belted 165 on the other side, would burn
up the rear end.
Is this the biggest load of crap to sell a tire you have ever heard??
Brad

If the rolling radius for both tyres is the same it should not burn up the
rear end.  BUT, it will let the car handle like a fresh caught fish on the end
of a line.  You have two different slip angles for the two different tires.
Any spirited cornering will test your ability to drive and use the full width
of the road as the car slides sideways and you try to correct it.
In the UK, a mix of radial and either bias belting or cross ply is illegal for
this reason.
You may also find the motor will tend to drive in a curve, towards the softer
walled tire.
If they are bias belted tires, I was taught that they were made because they
are better than cross plys but it saved the cost to the tire manufacturer of
getting new machines to make radial tires.  Bias belted tires can be made on
slightly modified old cross ply machines.
In my younger days when I had a Ford Cortina GT (black & white story) I could
just about afford to put radials on the back and left cross plys on the front.
It was the first time I drove round one of my 'favourite' left hand bends in
my normal 'wear the tires away' sideslip fashion with radials on the rear when
I had my first practical lesson in tire construction.  I had been told that
radials were better - they were.  The rears gripped, the front slipped away to
the right and I went across the road and through the hawthorn hedge, stopping
just after I had bent the 'KEEP OUT.  MINISTRY OF DEFENCE' sign behind it.
OOooppss!  It taught me a valuable lifelong lesson about tire design.

Guy R Day

---