Re: Lights Are Out, Computers Are Off

To: millerls@ado13.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lights Are Out, Computers Are Off
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:37:41 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/03 5:00:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
millerls@ado13.com writes:

> Seems as though the power if off in most of the Northeast US all the way
> West to Cleveland.

Actually west to Detroit and south at least to Akron.  Power just came back
on here -- was out for six hours or so -- but they're saying 75% of Akron is
still dark.  Sure was fun driving home from downtown this afternoon with no
traffic lights functioning!

Cleveland is still dark and facing a major water crisis as the pumps from
Lake Erie are not getting power.  Water pipes are already empty in many suburbs
and south into northern Summit County (my county) and TV and radio stations in
Cleveland are telling folks how to drain the water from their hot water tanks
for emergency use.  They're also saying that when they turn the water back on,
the air in the system may blow water mains throughout the area.  Akron has
its own water system so we'll be fine, but there could be lots of Clevelanders
going to Lake Erie in the morning to take a bath.

Chris Eck
Akron, OH
Sweet electricity (for now)