Re: Clutch travel

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Clutch travel
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:33:33 -0700
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Mike,

Great news. No leaks I take it?

>Hi all,
>Got my clutch bled and brakes adjusted this afternoon.  Took it for a short
>spin in the neighborhood (big grins), no fenders or bonnet.
>
>Couple of observations:
>
>1) Clutch functions OK, but the travel and engagement doesn9t seem quit
>right.  How far should the slave pin travel for proper function?

The clutch line can be very difficult to get all the air out of. You
might need to bleed it again. Did you use your MightyVac for it too?
The reservoir is small is easy to run dry so make sure you keep it
topped up. Did you replace the slave push rod? The hole was pretty
ovaled and you'll lose travel that way. With everything new and bled
properly, you should observe a fair amount of travel at the slave,
maybe and inch or so.

>2) surging on very mild acceleration, seems to be fuel starved.  I noticed
>that the fuel filter ahead of the carbs fills easily and ~3/4 full on start
>up but after warming only has a little bit of fuel.  Could this be due to
>something else other than fuel starvation?

That is probably normal. While it seems weird, I have observed same.
More like the floats or leakage at the throttle shafts. Check for
leaks by spraying around the shafts with something like WD40. A
change in idle indicates a leak. I have some quick fixes for it
should that be the case. Are you the carbs are balanced  adjusted
properly? What weight oil is in the dampers? If everything is clean
and the pistons raise and drop smoothly with the damper out, I like
the weight/performance of Marvel Mystery oil.

Gerard