Re: Sagging Springs

To: WillemBop@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sagging Springs
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:02:49 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
WillemBop@aol.com wrote:

>My 79 Midget is sagging on the driver's side. I was thinking of new springs
>all around to correct this. Moss and Victoria British sell new springs. Are
>these the way to go?

Bill,

I did not see a real answer to your question. I will state this: "Repro
springs don't".  As someone once said, "What do you expect from dung
fired cheap Chinese steel."  I have a repro rear spring in the rear of
my car.  It is currently flat and heading toward a reverse arch (I guess
that would be a sag.)  Repro springs are a waste of time and money.

The real question should be, "If I decide to replace my springs, where
do I get a set that works like the original."

My advice is if you can find a set of NOS springs pay for them.  It will
be money well spent.  Failing that maybe getting a spring shop to
re-arch your old springs or make new ones.  Do NOT buy repro springs.

I would love to hear what other people have done to get a QUALITY set of
springs for their car.

Bill "my springs sag" Gilroy