Second broken axle in 3 months (attn Jerry Goodman)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Second broken axle in 3 months (attn Jerry Goodman)
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:13:20 +0000 FILETIME=[1B7AAC20:01C370BD]
Hello spridgets,

I bought my '66 midget at the beginning of the summer and the thirrd time I
drove it, I borke the axle. Thankfully, I had a replacement available, so I
swapped in a whole new rear end off a project midget which should be in
pretty good shape. I chalked the break up to abuse by the former owner.

So, I was out driving yesterday and I broke another axle. Let out the clutch
at a stop light and it just jerked and then spun. It makes the same clicking
sound turning over that the last one did. It's the other side this time,
judging by how it feels to turn the left wheel versus the right, but being
that it's a whole new rear end I think that's just coincidence.

I just happen to have one more rear end, but now I 'm thinking maybe *I'm*
abusing it, and I just don't know it. The clutch is really tight, but I'd
expect that I would spin my wheels before I break an axle... Any thought on
how to prevent this in the future?

  Also, reading the archives I saw that Jerry Goodman seems to be having a
similar problem. From what I hear, the axle usually breaks right next to the
diffenertial, so you will probably need to pull the differntial out to get
to the broken part out so you can replace it. Of course it's easy to check
where it broke (and to see if that is your problem) just pull the axles one
by one - takes a few hours at most. I don't think you even need to
disconnect the brakes, and you definately don't need to pull the rear end.
If you're lucky, you can pull the broken part of the axle out from the side
and just replace it (if the break was near the wheel, which would be nice).

Thanks a lot,
Peter Allen
'66 Midget