Re: Second broken axle in 3 months (attn Jerry Goodman)

To: "Peter Allen" <krockhool@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Second broken axle in 3 months (attn Jerry Goodman)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:25:06 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Peter,

Correct, you don not need to swap entire rear ends to fix. The brakes
do not need to be removed, just be sure to drain the housing well
before you start and tilt the car slightly away from the side you are
pulling to avoid dripping oil on your brake shoes. Make sure you
remove all the broken bits from the housing and replace axles ONLY
into the same side it came from originally. Reversing sides will
stress the axle splines in the opposite direction and can contribute
to it's failure. There are hardened axles used for racing you can
buy, but are expensive and there is a procedure for turning the axle
shafts to reduce stress on the slines. Your best bet is to check for
the stronger type found in later cars. See my web site under "Tech
tips-> Spridgets Specs by Bob Spruck" for axle data.

Gerard
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/FS_Garage.htm

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb