rear spring details ??

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear spring details ??
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:23:14 -0400
In theory, my Midget has had the rear suspension lowered with exchanged
springs, way back when.  The receipt only says 'replaced with supplied
springs'.  PO's note says 'installed lowered rear springs'.

She sags on the driver's side ( that's not news to anyone, I'm sure ).  The
handling has been getting progressively worse to the point where I have to
do something about it.  The opposite side front tire is wearing more on the
inside, as if it's floating.  I can't find a crack in the leaf springs.  I
jacked up and lowered the car several times looking to see if I could detect
unwanted movement somewhere and I don't see any.  The floor is bad around
the spring boxes, but the spring boxes seem solid.

I plan to remove the springs this weekend and bring them into a spring shop
on Monday morning to see what they can find and/or do with them.

If that works, I'll probably drive her out to a Brit car shop to have them
weld in the floor patches that I had planned to do this spring.  If it
doesn't work, I guess it's a trailer.

Measuring from the sill in front of the rear wheel to the ground gets me
almost 7.5 inches on the passenger side.  If I end up buying lowered springs
from <gasp> MOSS, is that about where a 1 inch lowered suspension sits??
Anyone have original lowered rear springs for sale?

I'm assuming that the problem is in the right rear, and it certainly needs
attention, but am I missing what would be obvious to someone else?

Robert Duquette
'65 RHD Sprite
'67 RHD Midget < aka Miss Marple >
www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette