RE: Fuel pumps, now Armstrong shocks

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel pumps, now Armstrong shocks
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:12:14 -0400
David,
My race car, as well as Bob Criss' 1982(?) SCCA F-Prod, Nat'l championship
winning Midget (an ex-Group 44 car, I might add) used Armstrong lever action
shocks.  They worked very well, indeed.  You'll never, ever catch me wasting
my money on tube shock conversions for my MGs.
Now, Bob Criss is as ornery and mischievous a guy as you'll ever encounter
and he used to take great delight in beating the pants off the big-buck
guys, with their high-tech coil-overs, and "unobtanium" trick parts and,
then, rubbing their noses in it.  I remember an incident at the Run-Offs,
one year when Bob, after a few adult beverages, told the "crew chief" of
some high-roller, West Coast Spitfire racer (who was bragging about what a
strong engine "his" Spit had), remarked to the guy: "your motor wouldn't
pull a sick whore off the pot".  Now, Bob is not a little guy, but this guy
was large.  We, on Bob's crew, were all of average stature and not overly
brave.  We sort of pulled Bob away and got him distracted and he lived to
blow that Spitfire into the weeds, the next day.
Bud Osbourne