Center Main Strap and piston ring questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Center Main Strap and piston ring questions
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:57:21 -0400
Hey all,

Finally started to get my engine back together (1275). Due to the wear
pattern on the bearings I decided a center main strap would be a good
idea. I have had the cap machined as per the instructions and don't see
any problems with installation, other than what do I do with the brace
from the oil pickup. I can still attach it to the rear cap, but what
about the one that went to the center? Bend it out of the way, cut it
off, drill and tap the strap? It seems like a pretty sturdy assembly, so
I'm inclined to just cut it off, or more likely fashion a replacement
with only one "leg".

Also, the new pistons (AE - 3 ring) came with the rings already
installed, but I know I need to remove them and check the gaps. My
question is what is the proper orientation for installing them? Out of
the box, the rings in the top groove were unmarked, while the ones in
the second groove were marked "Top" on one side. Do the ones with the
marking belong in the top groove, or does that indicate the top of the
ring and in fact it should stay in the groove it was in from the
manufacturer?

Thanks!

Eddie

1971 Midget "Bebop"