HIF44 Carb needle info needed

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: HIF44 Carb needle info needed
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:38:11 -0400
I have just mounted an SU HIF44 carb, with an alloy manifold (copy of Metro)
from SU Midel in Australia.
It came with the needle "BEJ", which is Way too lean. The only other needle
I had to try is "ABC".  That needle runs much better in mid -range and up,
probably a bit too rich;  and it dies at idle, or if I lift off the
throttle.  The ABC needle is visibly much thinner than the BEJ.

This is a freshly rebuilt motor, 1275, .040 over, 9:1 pistons, aluminum
head, 276* cam, LCB header, RC40 exhaust, and Pertronix.

Is anyone running a similar setup, who can advise me on needle selection?
Thanks,
Ray Lynch
59 Bugeye