It finally happened - I got overtaken

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: It finally happened - I got overtaken
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 07:58:42 EDT
Hi list,

An idle  moment while Sunday lunch is cooking.  It finally happened - I got
overtaken while driving my Sprite.  Well to be honest it has happened once
before but not this year and not when I was really trying.

Yup, an old Red Lancia Integrale - the one that looks like a rally car with
ugly fat arches and was the homologation special for the really rally car that
dominated world rallying for 3 years.  I guess it was turboed and 4WD but
can't be sure and if standard good for 180bhp+ .  Not sure if it was left hand
drive or not.  Also had a passenger in the car to really rub things in.

I guessed he/she was quick because as I pulled up to a set of traffic lights
before turning right to get on the motorway it was in mirrors from no-where.
With a passenger in the car I didn't think he would go for the bait and I
think I surprised him when I opened up the car on the slip road (you call it
the
ramp?) passed 3 slower cars and got into 2nd. He was there then big in my
mirror and not getting either bigger or smaller so I moved over to let him pass
which did take him a fraction longer than I expected - I think maybe he had to
shift - possibly 3rd gear for him, and then he was past.

Course I got past him twice again later in traffic due to nifty lane
selection and stayed with him later which was a struggle for the Sprite but I
guess he
wasn't trying that hard since we only got up to about 90mph.

Daniel1312