Re: Help, tuning 101. 2003 14:25:44 -0700

To: cbking@alum.rpi.edu (Chris King)
Subject: Re: Help, tuning 101. 2003 14:25:44 -0700
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:10:03 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Chris...

Is your SU set-up specifically tailored
to the Spridgefire 1500 engine?

I'm thinking correct springs, needles, etc.
for the specific application ("stock" at
least?).

I use the Moss SU oil (got it with some other parts) but I think
straight
20wt motor oil was the recommended.
Some guys use 3 in 1, others use ATF.
You'll notice these oils are anything but
on the heavy side.

A more thick oil will
enrichen acceleration mixture but once
"cruise rpm" is reached, should make no
difference in "running mixture" if the needle (and float level) is
"correct" for
the application and the needle is doing
it's thing is shutting off properly when the
correct fuel level within the bowl is met.

As for the other part of it, I don't know
where to begin. With every respect, it is not running fine on full
choke....cause
the plugs are carbon fouled. So, it runs,
but not well.

Something is fundamentally wrong here
and I can not think of what it might be.
Frank is home from Englishtown...maybe
he's got some thoughts.

With the carbs down 12 "flats" from full
lean (basic setting) the motor should run
after warm-up, this being the basic carb.
mixture setting upon which further tuning
of the mixture is based.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)