Re: Midget wheels/tires

To: "Simon.Bosworth" <Simon.Bosworth@target.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget wheels/tires
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 9:53:29 -0400
Plenty of alloy wheels around... K&N, Minator (sp?)- I think that's the ones
sold by Moss?... Minilites, Panasport, Revolution... and I am sure I am
forgetting one or two.

If you like the "Minilite" look, Panasport might be the lightest and the best -
cheapest will probably be K&N or Minator.

I personnally like the Revolution four spoke wheels, and I have eight for my
Sprite - fitted with 7/16" wheel studs and the appropriate "sleeve nuts" from
Revolution, as those wheels are made to fit over larger studs. The 7/16" studs
are not necessary for the street, but I like them for racing - added safety
over 3/8", and I can torque them a bit higher (45 lbs/sq foot all around, I
could go to 50). Revolution makes both street and racing wheels.

I would imagine 6" X 13 with 185/60 X 13 would be the best combination for
performance. Any more than that and you will have "too much rubber", especially
with a street engine. I cannot remember how those wheels fit on a Mk4 Sprite
and if one has to use the "baseball trick" - any lister knows of clearance
issues? They fit great on my Bugeye, with no flares.

As for performance tires, I think only Dot approved racing compound tires are
now available in 185/60 x 13, but I am sure other listers with more recent
experience of driving a Sprite on the road will come up with different wheel
sizes and a better choice of performance tires!

Jacques Le Clainche, ex-owner 1970 Sprite and 1972 Midget, present owner 1959
racing Bugeye.