tuning, part 2

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: tuning, part 2
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:22:47 -0700
Many thanks to all who gave advice! I was fiddling with the carbs
yesterday evening, and ended up pulling them and re-setting everything
on the bench. 12 flats down (they weren't), set the idle scews, checked
the floats, and re-assembled. I put them back on the car this evening,
and voila! Success! I have a running car! (Never mind that the handle
pulled off my brand new choke knob. Grrr!)

Now I'm at a point where I want to get the car to idle so I can set the
timing. For the life of me, I can't get it to idle lower than 1500RPM.
If I go lower, the car sputters and dies.

I went ahead and checked the timing anyway, and it looked like the
advance was something like 25  or 30 degrees BTDC @ 1500 rpm. The weird
thing is that when I gave it gas (brought it up to about 3000 RPM or
so), the mark on the crankshaft pulley didn't seem to move at all!
Strange, since this would mean that the dizzy is at max mechanical
advance. Thinking something must be wrong with the dizzy, I pulled it to
check it.

This dizzy is a Lucas 41808, 45DM4 CEI unit with vaccuum retard. I
started to pull it apart, but the 4 lobe sensor doesn't want to come
free. But through the baseplate, I could see a 10 degree cam inside. I
don't know what the springs are...

Now my questions:

1. Those of you with non-stock cams in your 1500, where do you idle?
2. Does the dizzy have anything to do with the idle speed?
3. Can I even use this emissions dizzy with my new state of tune?
4. If #3 is no, any reccommendations for a dizzy to use? (I know the
NAPA one, but some of you reported they're on permamemt backorder...)

Thanks for all your help. :)

-=Chris