First impressions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: First impressions
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:23:06 +0100
Hi all,

Well, I've just driven the 40 miles home in one piece.  I obviously have
a million questions and thoughts - so please bear with me...

o The "chipped" first gear is really not too bad, and I don't intend
taking the gearbox to bits straight away.
o The brakes are non-existent.  I knocked a bit off the price because of
this.  I intend to replace discs, pads, shoes at a minimum.  While I'm
in the area, should I replace the drums and rubber hoses?  This actually
nearly resulted in a crash on my test drive.  Came up to a T junction
and for a split-second, I _really_ thought I was going straight into the
wall in front.
o The car doesn't have an unleaded head.  This doesn't particularly
bother me.  Just use LRP, right?
o The brake pedal seems very high.  Easily adjustable?
o What grade engine oil?  I usually use 10W-40, but this is an older car
than I've had before.
o Also, what types of diff / gearbox oil should I use?
o Where's a good UK parts source that will provide OEM spec parts at
good prices?  For example, the MGOC parts site is really cool but the
brake stuff is all high-spec - anyone have any opinions on the value of
these type of parts?  I guess the more general question is do people
think that all the OEM parts are crap?  Coming from a Jaguar XJS world,
it's quite unusual for someone to fit (say) Brembo discs, as the Jag
ones are really decent.  I'd like to keep the car as original as I can,
except where the "upgrade" parts make a big difference.  Did that make
sense?
o What's the correct tyre pressures?
o What's the pull-out knob on the left side of the middle of the dash
(on the right of the heater switch)?
o One of the headlights is shagged.  What's the bulb spec?  Does anyone
make those "white light" ones?

The journey home was mostly done at 60mph, and I couldn't have asked
more from the car.  Is the steering _meant_ to be all over the place?
;)

I suppose some of these questions could be answered from the owners and
service manuals, but they're in the post...

Already I can't wait to drive the thing tomorrow...