Re: First impressions

Subject: Re: First impressions
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:18:28 -0500
Cc: Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Antony Gelberg wrote:

>  I obviously have a million questions and thoughts - so please bear with me...
>
> o The brakes are non-existent.  I knocked a bit off the price because of
> this.  I intend to replace discs, pads, shoes at a minimum.  While I'm in the
> area, should I replace the drums and rubber hoses?  This actually nearly
> resulted in a crash on my test drive.  Came up to a T junction and for a
> split-second, I _really_ thought I was going straight into the wall in front.

As you have just discovered, going fast is optional, stopping is mandatory. How
much is your life worth to you, as a car that small will rarely win in a game of
chicken. I have a pair of Bremo discs I got off of eBay new for less than $40,
pads and shoes are a must, and see about getting the drums turned. The rubber
hoses are prone to internal failure, causing such mind boggling symptoms as your
brakes staying applied, even after you have removed your foot from the pedal.
Again, the hoses are not much, so ask yourself, are you worth it?

> o The car doesn't have an unleaded head.  This doesn't particularly bother
> me.  Just use LRP, right?

I don't use any additive, and I have run stock heads for a long time. One thing
to remember, is that while you will sustain minimal damage from the loss of
unleaded fuel, the heads are made from good steel. At least the A series heads
are..... <G>

The rest of your questions will have to be answered by other Spitfidget owners,
as I am not very familiar with them. But it does sound as though your front
suspension needs rebuilding, from the description of the "wandering". It may be
bad wheel bearings, but I wouldn't place any bets on it.
Brad