Re: '69 Lotus Elan Convertible

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '69 Lotus Elan Convertible
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:17:46 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/2003 8:33:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jleclainche@cox.net writes:

> By the way- I think the Big Valve Twin Cam came out in October 1970, so
> that
> would not be an original engine in that "for sale" car.

       Jacques is correct about the Big Valve Twink coming out in late 1970.
The easiest way to properly identify the engine is to get the engine number
and see what prefix it has.  Original for a Federal spec Elan in 1969 was the
prefix "G", and that was not a big valve engine.  If the engine has either "T"
or "W" for the prefix it should have a big valve head.  Don't go by just what
it says on the cam cover!  All of the above engines will have Strombergs.

Marty
1972 Lotus Europa Twincam
1970 MG Midget
1958 Berkeley SE 328