Re: G-Tech data on Turbo bugeye

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: G-Tech data on Turbo bugeye
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:16:09 -0400 FILETIME=[F7A17570:01C3912F]
Glen,

Looks to be a neat and useful toy! It definitely looks to be more that 100
Hp at the crank!
One question, 1710lbs seems to me to be pretty heavy for a Bugeye. Even with
you and a half tank of gas.  Unless you weigh as much as chuck c. USED to.
:-)

Brian S.
Bugeye under resto

>I finally got the chance to take the bugeye out on the country roads and
>try
>out the G-Tech performance meter.  First step is getting an accurate
>weight.
>Off to the local hardware store rock-yard where the scale said that the
>bugeye
>with a half-tank of gas and me sitting it weighed a grand total of 1710
>lbs.
>I punched in the number and headed for the country.
>
>I did three HP runs and came up with 79, 81, 84 HP.  The number getting
>lower
>with increasing temperature of the motor.  0-60 times were 9.3 and 9.8
>seconds.
>
>All this time I imagined that this motor must be at least 100HP, but I
>suppose
>that a lower number is to be expected at the wheels as this one measures
>the
>HP of the car moving through air, which will include drag, unlike a static
>shop dyno.
>
>At least now I have a baseline to work from as I make improvements.
>Clearly I
>need a source of cooled air to feed the turbo since the readings went down
>as
>I heated up.
>
>Glen "New Toy" Byrns

Help protect your PC.  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.