Veterans Day - No LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Veterans Day - No LBC
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:02:19 -0500
Today is Veterans Day, which was originally called Armistice day to commemorate
the signing of the Armistice which ended the World War.  The combatants were so
confident they had worked everything out they thought this holiday would
commemorate the end of all war, and even dared, originally, to not put a big
roman numeral one after the words World War.  Within a few short years war was
on again and in 2003 this holiday (sadly) and Memorial Day (tragically) are as
relevant as they ever have been.

America leads the world in productivity measures and the production of Veterans
is no exception.  If you want to do something for the 131,000 we are currently
minting in Iraq and Afghanistan but donbt know how here is a short list of
what is allowed.  Itbs not meant to be exhaustive but may be a help to those
whobve found that, due to the current security environment, there is far less
opportunity to send unsolicited help or cheer in a random fashion.

1.  You can send a pre-paid telephone card to a soldier by visiting
www.operationuplink.org  PLUS:  this is something the troops really need and it
WILL make a difference  MINUS:  itbs pretty impersonal

2.  You can send a care package to a soldier through www.usometrodc.org/care
  PLUS:  stuff to open is even better than a letter to open  MINUS:  you donbt
get to put stuff in, or even a letter, you can fill out a form and the clerks
there will transfer and include the text.  It costs money.

3.  You can go to www.operationsandbox.com and email them.  You can donate
money, get the name of someone who needs mail, or get instructions on what you
may send them.
PLUS:  this is more like the image you may have in your mind of baking cookies
and brown paper packages.  It can also be cheap if you want.  MINUS:  takes a
little more time to get a response, send your package etc.

4.  You can give money to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund at
www.intrepidmuseum.org/fallenheroes  PLUS:  this money goes to the dependants
of British and American soldiers killed in Iraq.  All administrative services
are donated and the fund is supervised carefully by reputable sponsors, so 100%
of your contribution helps where itbs needed.  MINUS:  impersonal and costly.

There are also numerous places on the web you can email soldiers.  Hope this
doesnbt seem like an assignment or plea, several people have told me theybve
wanted to do things only to find out the traditional ways donbt work anymore
(example you canbt send packages or even letters to bany soldierb anymore,
even if you know the company, etc.)  so this information might be useful, and
today seemed like a good day for it.  Letbs hope that next year, on this day,
we can support our Veterans in person by buying them a beer.