Re: Wire wheels

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net> hAOKBrGx020895
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:11:51 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Mike, for that you have a choice. For home use you can go cheap (under
$1000) and get an eMac, or go for the iMac for a bit more money and get
an LCD Screen in 15, 17, and now 20" sizes. Or for the portables (which
even the PC Mags state are the pest in the world) get one of the new
PowerBook, in up to 17" screen size. (Bit big for a "laptop" tho).

For what you are asking I would just suggest any of the current crop of
G4 or G5 based systems. The biggest issue in what you are looking for
is that "digital photo processing" For simple stuff that is in the OS
in iPhoto, for more complex stuff you will want Photoshop or one of the
Photoshop subsets. Now for true color the LCD screens still have a way
to go for color purity, so I tend to stay with a good CRT screen, which
lets out all the iMacs, but keeps the eMac (my daughter has this one
for her PhotoShop work).

 From there the call is yours, Price being the next Subject. If you can
afford it, get the biggest and baddest G5 on the block.

And stay Virus free in the bargin.

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

The bottom line: Sure, there's pain in adopting the Mac. But if I accept
that, I get to use a computer that works, and that pretty much does
what I
expect and want a computer to do.
Stewart Alsop
FORTUNE.com