Alternator/Battery--no direct LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Alternator/Battery--no direct LBC
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:09:17 EST
A question about engine electricals--this is not pertaining to my Midget, but
to my Ford Rangerl.   When I drive the ranger, it starts slowly, and the
ammeter shows a very low charging rate, even though  it is in the low normal
range, according to the guage.  When the truck is idling, the lights go dim and
it
acts like it wants to die, but feathering the accelerator gets it back.  The
battery is not charging up properly.

What are the steps to determining whether it is the alternator or the
battery?  I would hate to remove the alternator and take it to have it bench
tested
if it was only a battery.  And by the same token, I would hate to invest in a
new battery if the old one is ok and I need an alternator.  I will check the
belt, too, of course, but it seems tight.

--David C.