Re: Help - Anemic fuel pumps

To: Geoff Branch <gjbranch@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Help - Anemic fuel pumps
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:16:36 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I've disconnected it at every possible place.  When it decides not to
run, fuel barely makes it out of the pump onto the ground.  It will not
build up enough pressure to push through the filter.  I can take the
filter off and watch the fuel go up the hose a little and then back down
the hose a little with each stroke (that can be seconds apart).  Taking
the filter out of the line had no effect because there wasn't enough
pressure with the slowly going pump to push fuel even that little bit up
hill.

Again, I've hooked up the inlet and outlet directly at the pump to make
sure neither the gas tank or the fuel line was the problem.

It's not the pumps.  I dissassembled one to make sure its screen wasn't
clogged.  It checked out fine on an external battery.  The second pump
came out of my MGB that's not giving me a lick of trouble (and is for
sale here in Tucson!).

I'd finally guessed electrical, which is why I rigged the bypass wires.
 If it wasn't for the lack of fuel in the carbs, I'd be thinking coil
from the way it's running (the more it runs the less time it'll go).
 Sure don't want to have to yank the ignition switch to test that out.

 - K

fwiw, the major task this weekend was to put in a ceramic floor in the
kitchen.  Grinding down the high spots on the poorly poured concrete
(must be Chinese concrete) caused a lot of mess and was taking way too
long.  I was wishing I could take the whole damn floor and just throw it
on the... uh, floor.  Finally, I got out the air powered chisel.  What
were high spots are now low spots to be filled!