Re: What makes a good snow car?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What makes a good snow car?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:13:11 -0600
My personal formula is:
1. Front-wheel drive
2. Clutch
3. Handbrake

My 1987 Duster had these and went right where you pointed it.
My 1995 Escort Wagon likewise.
My 2002 GTi has these plus ABS/traction control, but I don't like it in snow
as much as I did the Escort. Probably a factor of the wider tires on the
GTi.
I also appreciated the torque steer that the Duster and the Escort
exhibited; it meant that it pulled to the left a bit under acceleration and
to the right a bit when decelerating, perfect!
Obviously, most of the standard features that contribute to good dry
handling like low roll center and center of gravity, etc help as well.
You will also notice that none of these features actually apply to Stupid
Useless Vehicles. SUVs do ok in snow, as long as they do not try to go too
fast; therefore they tend to get in the way of those of us who have cars
that can handle decently on a snowy road. I will not challenge them when it
comes to off-road ability to get to Point B, but ON a snowy road, they get
in the way.
David Lieb