Re: Snow and Ice and Salt

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Snow and Ice and Salt
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:29:50 -0500
Interesting that you mention the salt mine under Detroit.  I've toured the
mine and it is incredibly huge!  You get in a box not much bigger than a
phone booth and they lower it 1200 feet down to the mine.  When we got to
the bottom they opened the door and I couldn't believe my eyes.  The mine is
50' from wall to wall and 30' from the floor to the ceiling - and there are
125 miles of those tunnels under the city of Detroit!!!

There are two vertical shafts with the phone booth size boxes and everything
down there (pickups, bulldozers, wagons, etc.) went down in those boxes.
Everything was cut apart on the surface and then reassembled down in the
mine.  All of the salt came out the same way - in those phone booths.

The mine had just been shut down when I toured it.  It was closed because
the state of Michigan had started to buy salt from a Canadian mine just
across the Detroit River.  The Canadian salt was $18 a ton while the US
stuff was $20 a ton.

Rick