Re: Leaf Spring Magic

To: "larryrex" <larryrex@awesomenet.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Dave Grandeffo" <davegran@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Leaf Spring Magic
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:51:30 -0500
why bother with dirt collecting goo?   why not just cut strips of nylon
material  and fully line the springs between each leaf like the spring shops
do?    all this goo requires frequent maintance and attracts dirt wich is
abrasive.    leather gators or tape wrapped or spring steel wrapped?  who
cares?  it's all model A technology.    go with a modern anti friction
material !   besides do you know how long it takes for the leaves of a
spring under pressure to dispense the lubricant at the main contact points?
not very long.   for the amount of effort, vs. the length of sucess it's
hardly worth it.   might as well spray white grease on your springs before
each drive.   ;)
you need to work on numerous old cars and see the effects of abrasive grit
embedded in the lubricants applied to the springs in order to wonder what
the people were thinking.   it does help squeaky springs!   but only for so
long!  also if you tape wrap them remember this!  the decreasing number of
leavbes i na sporing pack causes a wedge effect.  as time goes on the tape
tries to walk off the thicker center towards the thinner ends and to help
this along the grease tries to dissolve the adhesive on the tape.    not a
very pretty sight.   and horribly annoying after all the effort put forth
for a nice wrap job.

chuck.