Leaf Spring Magic

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaf Spring Magic
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:10:12 -0600
Chuck wrote:
> why bother with dirt collecting goo?

Well Chuck, it only becomes dirt collecting goo if you don't do a good
wrapping job... otherwise it stays a lubricant!

> leather gators or tape wrapped or spring steel wrapped?  who
> cares?  it's all model A technology.

Actually, it's horse cart technology, but it works for me. I've found
that it's best to keep an open mind about technology and life in
general. [:~)

> besides do you know how long it takes for the leaves of a
> spring under pressure to dispense the lubricant at the main contact points?
> not very long.

Then why do the springs stay compliant over a long period of time? I
drove my Abarth for thousands of miles in four seasons weather and there
was no change in the springing action.

> for the amount of effort, vs. the length of sucess it's
> hardly worth it.

Let's see; a couple of hours work for thousands of miles of service...
it sounds worth it to me!

> as time goes on the tape
> tries to walk off the thicker center towards the thinner ends and to help
> this along the grease tries to dissolve the adhesive on the tape.    not a
> very pretty sight.   and horribly annoying after all the effort put forth
> for a nice wrap job.

Gee, that hasn't been my experience, Chuck; but as they say, "Your
mileage may vary...." [;~0

Best Regards,
--
Dave Grandeffo