Austin A35 details

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Austin A35 details
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:54:18 -0800
For those of you who asked, here are the details on the A35:

1958 Austin A35 saloon, Old English White original color resprayed with DuPont
Centauri enamel, under bonnet is same.  Interior is all very good condition
red leather with matching carpet.  Drum front and rear brakes stock, all
rebuilt with two front cylinders freshly brass resleeved by Sierra Speciality.
Electrical system is basically stock and working very well.  Mods include only
the minimum and are of course reversible.  Voltage regulator is pulled out and
Mitsubishi 1-wire alternator installed (hey guys, gimme a break, I've been
driving it every day).  Also, Pertronix Ignitor ignition in place and car is
converted to neg. ground.  That done for 200 watt Quadraphonic AM/FM CD.  The
motor is a bone stock 948cc original to the car with original smooth case
tranny.  The engine has been throughly rebuilt and runs great.  I opted to put
on a Morris Minor intake manifold and a single 1.25"SU instead of the original
Zenith carb which I still have with the original manifold.  The tranny was
rebuilt sometime in the recent past and shifts very well and is actually
quiet.  I put in a 3.9 rear end to allow it to achieve freeway speed (barely).
Exhaust system is all new and sounds good.  Gets about 30MPG and is a fine
little town putt-putt.  Definitely NOT a freeway car.  I have made short trips
on the freeway but this is not its world.  I use it for the commute to work
when the weather is bad enough to prefer it to the bugeye.  I've also used it
as a backup while the bugeye is getting his winter mods.

Honesty disclaimer:  Two or three tiny garage dings in the home paint job. Any
real paint critic will see that the paint was not rubbed out properly and
could at best be called a very good garage paint job.  The rear brake slave
has been replace by the PO with a VW slave that is a good fit and works well.
I guess in the 70's he couldn't find the original replacement parts now
readily available from "Autofurbish" of England.
The brand new headliner is stock and is a stock mediocre fit. Chrome looks 45
years old.

Glen