Re: Block Sanding... and Filling?

To: Kendel McCarley <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Block Sanding... and Filling?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:37:31 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Kendel McCarley wrote:

>  what goop should I use to fill in the low spots?

Bondo 101 here.

I use up to 4 types of goop.

Large holes, welded up areas, and major dents.....
Start with "gorilla hair" which is anybrand fiberglass embedded
polyester resin filler.

Small dents, holes around 1/8" use regular "bondo" brand filler.
Cheap, available anywhere.

Ripples in bare metal, grinder marks, sanded out rust pock marks.
Evercoat makes a bare metal glaze. This stuff works great as a finish
body filler too because it sands real easy.

Spot putty. For those hair line scratches and minor imperfections you
see after the car is primed.

Never mix the resin and hardener "hot" because you want it to kick
faster, it will and it will crack easier after paint.

Sand the stuff as soon as you can (couple hours) as long as it doesn't
ball up in the sandpaper. If you wait a day or more, it gets really hard
to sand.

Gorilla hair should be sanded with 36 grit
Bondo 80 or 120 grit
Evercoat 150-320 grit
Primer and spot putty 320-400 grit.

Always seal any body putty. Most is made with talc (powder) and it will
absorb moisture just like it does on your feet or a baby's bottom.
Spray can primer is NOT a sealer, you can seal it with a few coats of
regular spray paint and them prime over the paint.
Most body supply shops will direct you to a primer/sealer all in one.
Do not use this as your first primer, it does not sand well.
Use this after all the bodywork is as good as you want it and the primer
is on.

Ok, that's how I do it but I am not an autobody man. However, I am
getting better at it.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ