Re: wet sanding Q

To: <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wet sanding Q
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:36:52 -0800
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

-=Chris

<-----Original Message----->

                 From: Charles Christ
Sent: 1/23/2004 8:14:47 AM
To: cbking@alum.rpi.edu;spridgets@autox.team.net

here's a few pointers! first off ya need ta use a rubber block onna
counta
cuz yer going to need to do it very very flat! try to never ever use the
paper unsupported by hand as you can, with finger tip pressure sand
groves
into a finish at this point. also do not "push" the sandpaper into the
work ,let the grit of the paper do the work aided by the weight of the
block. then you need 600 or 1200 ultra fine paper, wet or dry type .
next, wet sand on the high spots as well as you can avoiding contact
with
the surrounding areas as best as you can only concentrating on the high
spots specifically. next you will be wet sanding and use a dash of dish
soap in the water. the soap wil lreduce the cutting of the sand paper a
degree. next be very carefull to keep a wet rag above the sanding area
keep a bit of a trickle of "wet" constantly running over the sanding
area.
start with the 600 and progress tothe 1200. inspect the paper
periodically
for clumps of paint gathering on the grit of the paper. if this happens
and it does not wash off in your bucket of water , change to a new sheet
of
sandpaper. those clumps can make a ess or problems that you would choose
to avoid. lastly! if on a rounded edge be carefull to work with that
contour or you will generate a flat spot. and similarly to wood sanding
the
last sanding operation is to sand it in 1 direction only to align the
last
sanding scratches before polishing the finished piece. kinda whut ya
wantedta know? *wink-wink*

chuck.
remember wet-wet-wet! the action of dry sanding causes heat wich the
wetting keeps down(also washes away the removed media). that dry dust
can
with heat offriction actually melt, clump up and adhere itself to the
car's
finish right where you weretrying to remove it from!.....c.