Re: List Mail or Virus Attack via cloned address???

To: "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: List Mail or Virus Attack via cloned address???
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:53:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
there are also several .scr copies running around which i believe are
scripts running through outlook.

the only people that have a major chance of passing this on are those
running an outdated version of outlook to check their mail.  those of
you on yahoo, hotmail, etc are probably not affected, but it would not
be wise to open these files.  Those of you on Eudora and I believe
Outlook express are probably not affected, but again, dont open the
file.  Generally these files are passed through an old address book
exploit available only in Outlook.  Microsoft has since patched their
issues in outlook, but many people forget to update, or they have
computer problems and reinstall but dont update.  if this sounds like
you take a look and consider doing it because you likely could be the
cause, or become the cause of the problem.

sorry for the book.

--- "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists@verizon.net> wrote:
> bushwacker4@zoomtown.com wrote:
>
> >Did anyone else get a "server report" from the Spridgets-Mod list
> with an attachment named "doc.zip"??? I haven't opened it and
> probably won't...
> >

> I got several with my list email address as the "From".  Somewhere
> there
> is a virus/trojan horse running wild.  Do trojan horse's run?  In any
>
> case I am running linux so I am pretty sure that I am not the source.
>
> The address must have been culled out of someones address book on the
> list.
>
> But don't open the attachment and they have had the following names
> so far
>
>    1. doc.src
>    2. doc.zip
>    3. yav.zip
>
> My solution to all these problems with viruses is to buy all of the
> dopes writing them girlfriends.  If they had girls in their lives,
> they
> would be having sex, not writing viruses.  So how about a public
> service
> ad campaign:
>
> "Get a hooker for a nerd, and stamp out viruses"
>
> Seems like a catchy slogan.   JM2C.
>
> Bill Gilroy

=====
The Flashfire Webhosting Project.