Re: Sprite oil leak

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite oil leak
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:34:41 -0800 (PST)
Mike & Karin <mcheman1@msn.com> wrote:
> Greetings.  I"m a new subscriber to the list and I'm
> looking for information
> on how to stop an oil leak I have on my '67 Sprite.

I had the same problem on my '69 Sprite. A puddle of
oil the size of a saucer everytime I turned off the
engine. No telling how much I used to help pave the
roads.

As the folks on the list recommended, I ran a hose
from the "can" on the front of the engine (timing
cover) to the connection on the intake manifold. That
produced positive crankcase ventilation. I put a pcv
valve at the manifold end, taking care to get one that
worked in a horizontal position and that worked with
the vacuum flow in the correct direction, as in front
of engine flowing to the intake manifold. I was
surprised by the difference in oil consumption. Now it
just dribbles a bit.

One other minor thing. If you have cats, keep the
windows up or the tonneau cover tightly snapped.
Square body sprites seem to look like litter boxes to
some cats. Don't ask.

cheers, bill b.
'69 Sprite

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html