Re: Fulcrum Pin Cotters

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fulcrum Pin Cotters
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:51:23 -0600
Here's a little "how to" as I've done a few of these.
Use a large screwdriver to start the fulcrum pin in either a new, rebuilt
or even used A-frame. Work it in and out as it will be chasing the threads.
They never thread in smoothly the first time. Remove and clean the threads
often. The grease grooves act as a chip catcher similar to a tap. As soon
as you can see the cotter groove, you can switch from screwdriver to a 1/2"
open end wrench that is thin enough to fit the groove. You'll get more
torque. Do all of this "dry". After running the pin in and out a few times,
it should move very, very easily.
         Now grease it and the hole. Offer up the cork seals. They are of 2
different IDs and will stay on the bushing bosses while you slide the king
pin into place. Remember, the king pin is to the outside of the fulcrum
pin. Best way is to have the A-frame on a table as it sits on the car. Hold
the king pin upright as it is on the car, and screw in the fulcrum
pin.  Things don't line up if you have the king pin laying flat on the
bench. I use a punch to be sure the groove is lined up first since you can
easily tap it back out, but tapping on the threaded end of the cotter will
ruin it. You should be able to push the cotter a little more than halfway
in with your thumb. The rest of the way is a gentle tap with a LFH. The
blunt end of the cotter will be at least flush with the king pin once the
nut and lock washer are installed.
         David, it seems that maybe you tried this without having the king
pin vertical to the A-frame.
         Good luck. I hope this helps..... and put some shoes on!
         Peter C.
=========

<Major snippage>