Re: 79 RB clutch

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 79 RB clutch
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:35:01 EST
<willy@thompsoncarpentry.com> wrote:

<<<hey ya all

I put my 79 away, right after Thanksgiving, after the "cruise to the rock"
it got a little warm here today (39) so to cure my cabin fever, I decided to
take Bridget out for a spin, she started right up, but the clutch pedal went
right to the floor. so I looked in the reservoir and there was no fluid, by
the off chance I could just fill er up and go, I tried that... nope.

My first guess is that I am going to be doing a clutch master, but was
really wondering why it would just "go" over 2 months of storage?

any body have any ideas?

willy@thompsoncarpentry.com>>>

The Rock was apparently hard on clutches last year. A week after we were
there (not for very long, the CPD officer with an attitude problem rather put a
damper on things) the clutch started leaking on my wife's BGT. I still have to
get under it, but the position of the puddle under the car looks like the
clutch hose to me.

Are you getting leakage on the driver's side floor? That would be indicative
of a master leak, at least going by the brake master I had go last year. The
other thing to watch on 1500s is the hard red/clear clutch line. I lost one 3
years ago with a hole worn in it where it passes through the heater shelf just
to the left (right as you are looking at it from the front of the car) of the
battery. This is more likely if the grommet on the line is missing or if the
battery is unsecured and can move back and forth. Apparently leaked for awhile
but not enough at one time to leave an identifiable puddle on the ground. I
haven't had a slave spring a leak, so I can't say where it leaks to.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA
79 Midget