Re: Screwed on the internet

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Screwed on the internet
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:07:21 -0600
> any escrow company in any town where real estate changes hands will hold
> your money until you receive the goods and tell them to release the cash.

Unfortunately, a year or so ago there was a lot of scamming on ebay
involving the sales of plasma screens that included fake escrow companies.
Now I don't know about you, but I have never dealt directly with an escrow
company and I wouldn't know a good one from a fake, especially on the
internet. As the "New Yorker" cartoon said a number of years ago, "On the
internet, no one knows you're a dog". In the plasma scams, the vendors were
insisteing that the buyers use an escrow company "for your protection". It
is worth a couple of phone calls to verify the escrow service before using
them. Caveat Emptor was never so true as at ebay.
David Lieb
1972 Ebay Midget