Re: Screwed on the Internet

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Screwed on the Internet
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:25:19 -0800 (PST)
--- "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net> wrote:
> Not that it helps, but don't think you're
> alone.

A seller's tip - DON'T TAKE PERSONAL CHECKS.  I sold a
piece of stereo equipment for $200 a few months back
when everything was going wrong as detailed in a post
a few months back.  The winner had emailed me with an
eloquent and friendly email, asking that he be able to
pay with personal check, check his 80 positive
feedbacks, etc.  He sends the check, I waited 10 days
or so, check with my bank, I get an answer I dodn't
really understand saying "the amount is posted and
available for withdrawal, but that doesn't mean the
check cleared."  So I sent the unit.  I had estimated
$18 for shipping, it came out to $10, so I told the
seller I'd be sending him a check for $8.  He said
don't bother.  Anyway his check bounced, he had the
unit (had emailed me to tell me how great it sounded).
 It turned out to be a reasonably honest mistake, but
there were a ton of headaches on both ends that took a
while to resolve.  From now on it's Paypal or money
order for me.

=====
Ron Soave

"The test of success is not what you do when you're on top. Success is how high
you bounce when you hit bottom."

- General George S. Patton, Jr