Re: brake clip concensus

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: Re: brake clip concensus
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:46:36 -0500
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Mar 9, 2004, at 7:05 PM, Frank Clarici wrote:

> I guess I was the only one who welded my wheel cylinders in.
> Easy to change, just grind off the weld ;)
> But they don't wiggle in the opening.

This will make the purists shudder.....

I blow out a wheel cylinder 150 miles from home.  The local NAPA has
one the next day.

Road side repair;  the E-clip is missing from the box with the new
wheel cyl.  The old clip is broken and unusable .......It's Sunday and
you've waited until everything is closed to make the repair....  What
do you do?  What do you DO?

I used a piece of steel wire I found on the road........  wrapped it
around the cylinder and twisted it tight......   It stayed there for a
long time.  When I got home from the trip I parked the car and forgot
about it.  The next time I checked the breaks was a year later and
there was the steel wire - right where I put it.  Still holding the
wheel cylinder in place.

Don't do this at home......   This is NOT a recommended fix!!!   But it
worked for me.

Kevin V.